Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Love Him Like Jesus

It was the start of a normal day today...we got up and the rush began, as usual. Trying to get three...make that four people dressed every morning with the hair done (and a bow neatly in place for at least the first few hours of school) is quite a challenge. Its a challenge that I enjoy..but a challenge just the same. I dropped my daughter of at school with the same heartfelt advice that I share everyday,"be good, and have a great day...I love you!" I decided that I would treat myself, so I drove a few miles to the nearest Starbucks for a vanilla latte (yes, I ordered skinny). On my way there I decided to listen to Casting Crowns. The words of a particular song really struck a chord with me today. It was talking about the grief that people experience with the loss of a spouse, or child, and how there are so many questions...and our response as Christians is to love them like Jesus. As the tears welled, I really began to ponder what it means to love someone like Jesus. What does that mean? Does it mean that we not only give money to the homeless, but we take them into our homes? Does it mean that we sit and eat a meal with them instead of giving them a hamburger and a Coke and driving away, our guilt appeased for a moment?
On a more practical note, what does it mean to love our spouses like Jesus. I was really thinking about this today...for me I believe it means to serve him without the expectation of being served. For those of you who know me, you know that is impossible...impossible without the Holy Spirit, that is. I want to love my husband like Jesus has loved me. I want to serve him with abandon, to be patient, kind, understanding, and supportive. For me this doesn't mean losing my identity as a woman, it means gaining a new identity in Christ. What a challenge God has placed before me today...one that I'm sure I will be working on until my hair turns white, or completely falls out..but I want to be the woman that God has made me to be, and with His power (the power that raised Christ from the dead, no less) I can accomplish all that he has set before me, and believe me girls, that same power is what its going to take! :)

5 comments:

  1. Thanks for the great post Shondra...a great reminder.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That was really great, Shondra. When I read that a Casting Crown's song touched you, I thought "I wonder if it is the same song that reached to me this weekend?" I was scheduled to sing worship this Sunday and we sang "Lifesong". The words "May the words I say And the things I do; Make my lifesong sing bring a smile to You." I just sang out to the Lord on stage in front of everyone without caring what they thought, because I knew that my "lifesong" was not "singing" to Him as of late. This song is my prayer this week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. One of my favorite songs! I find this song humbling and it always reminds me of what I have and who I am supposed to be.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great post Shondra. I'm so glad I have another blog to read.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Yay! You're blogging! Very excited about this. :)
    Welcome back.

    ReplyDelete